Kathryn A. Martin Library

Library FAQ

Find what you need in our searchable FAQ.

How do I find a video or DVD, a musical score, or a book in the Children's Collection?

Open the Library Catalog. Enter your term(s) in the search box(es) and click search.  Once the search has completed, your results appear. Next to your search term, you can select from the dropdown menu to limit by: ​Campus location: Duluth, UM TC Campus, All Campus, American Indian Learning Resource Center, Center for Economic Development, Tweed Museum, NRRI, etc. Material type: Books, CDs, Mic ... read more

How do I read the call number on a book?

Martin Library uses the Library of Congress Classification System to organize our collections. The books are found on the third floor (A-L) and fourth floor (M-Z). Let's look at an example. Take the book Colorblind Injustice: minority voting rights and the undoing of the Second Reconstruction, by J. Morgan Kousser.  The call number will look like this in the Library Catalog:  JK1924 .K68 1999 But ... read more

What's the difference between a scholarly journal and a magazine? 

SCHOLARLY JOURNALS POPULAR MAGAZINES Journal articles will always have bibliographies and end/footnotes. Articles may lack bibliographies or references. Authors are always named, and their institutional affiliation is given. Authors may be anonymous. Articles are often peer-reviewed or refereed. Articles are not peer-reviewed. Journal title may include terms such as "journal of," "r ... read more

How do I find citations or full-text articles?

The library has an extensive collection of over 200 databases. These databases can serve as indexes for citations and abstracts, as well as a repository for ebooks, full-text articles, data sets, photos, and other information. Generally you can use the Articles & Books tab on the library home page to find articles and citations. Using this feature will search UMD’s extensive collection of digital ... read more

I am a community member. How do I get a library card if I’m not affiliated with UMD?

195 views   |   Last updated on Mar 13, 2015    borrowing lending library card community

Community users who live within one hundred miles of UMD can apply for a courtesy card at the Circulation desk. Please bring a government-issued photo ID showing your current address. You can find all the details about this program on our Borrowing Priviliges for Community Members Page.

Will I be fined for overdue, lost, or damaged interlibrary loan materials?

193 views   |   Last updated on Oct 13, 2015    renew lending lost ill borrowing overdue interlibrary loan off-campus login proxy

If Martin Library is assessed fees for late or damaged interlibrary loan items, those fees will be passed on to the borrower. Interlibrary loans are due by the date indicated on the sticker that is attached to the front of the material. Books that are not returned or renewed by the date due may jeopardize the Library's borrowing relationship with other libraries. Overdue material will block your a ... read more

I am off campus and need to connect to a library digital resource (such as a database or materials on electronic reserve). How do I do that?

If you are a UMD student or a UMD staff or faculty member, you can connect to library databases using our EZproxy server or with VPN access. Find more instructions for off-campus access. Community members and guests do not have access to most library resources from off campus. Learn more about off-campus access for community users.

How do I find a book in the library?

179 views   |   Last updated on May 11, 2015    books catalog locations

You can find a book by searching the Library Catalog. The search box for the library is located on the Library home page. Click on the Library Catalog tab to search for just books, or use the Articles & Books tab to search for articles, reviews, media and books. For a general subject or keyword search, just select Search. You can quickly change your search criteria with the drop-down menu to sear ... read more

How do I borrow materials from other libraries? What is the difference between Interlibrary Loan and "Get It!"?

The Kathryn A. Martin Library provides both Get It and Interlibrary Loan services to obtain books and articles for UMD students, staff, and faculty. Use the Get It service to request materials from the Kathryn A. Martin Library or from any library within the University of Minnesota system. We've produced a tutorial about how to use Get It   When items cannot be found in the University of Minnesota ... read more

What is a citation, and what can I do with one?

A citation is a crucial part of finding articles in databases and requesting them through interlibrary loan. Here is a citation written in APA Style:  Konuspayeva, G., Konuspayeva, G., Faye, B., Camier, B., Gaucheron, F., Faye, B., . . . Gaucheron, F. (2014). Some parameters to process camel milk into cheese. Emirates Journal of Food and Agriculture, 26(4), 354-358. doi:10.9755/ejfa.v26i4.17277 As ... read more

Where are the books and periodicals stored in the library?

The Best Seller Collection is located on the first floor of the library. This collection contains popular and noteworthy fiction and nonfiction titles. The Reference Collection of almanacs, dictionaries, encyclopedias, and other works is located on the second floor. The books in this collection are for research and reference purposes and cannot be checked out. The main Book Collection is located ... read more

How will I be notified about my interlibrary loan request?

175 views   |   Last updated on Oct 13, 2015    renew lending lost ill borrowing overdue interlibrary loan off-campus login proxy

You will be notified by email when articles you have requested have been posted. Articles that we are unable to post to the server are mailed to the address provided in your ILLiad account. You will also be notified by email when physical items are ready for pickup at the Circulation desk. Faculty and staff may choose to have interlibrary loan items delivered to their campus address. This is an op ... read more

I lost something! Where is the lost and found located?

173 views   |   Last updated on Oct 13, 2015    found Missing losing lost

Lost something in the Library? Visit or call the Circulation desk on the first floor, 218-726-6120. Lost items not claimed at the library are sent to the following locations.: General - Kirby Information Desk, 134 Kirby Student Center, 218-726-7163 Jump drives - ITSS Tech Center, 165 Kirby Plaza, 218-726-8847 U Cards - U Card Office, 127 Kirby Plaza, 218-726-8814 UMD keys - UMD Police, 287 Darlan ... read more

Some databases require pop-ups. How do I turn off pop-up blockers?

172 views   |   Last updated on Mar 13, 2015    databases

To turn off pop-up blockers, select the browser you are using below and follow the directions provided. Firefox Chrome Safari Internet Explorer

What can I request through interlibrary loan?

171 views   |   Last updated on Oct 13, 2015    renew lending lost ill borrowing overdue interlibrary loan off-campus login proxy

Types of materials available through interlibrary loan include books, dissertations, government publications, and journal articles. Current periodicals or newspapers, rare books, material in special collections, new books, videos, conference proceedings, and recordings may be difficult to obtain or unavailable for loan. We make our best effort to obtain materials you request, but we cannot guarant ... read more

How do I cite a book, CD, website, or journal article?

When you read an article/book/website and use the author's words or ideas in your paper, you must give the author credit in the form of a citation. You should consult your instructor or syllabus to determine which citation style is required. With that information in hand, take a look at our Citation Styles guide. You can also find citation style guides at the second floor Research & Information de ... read more

What is a peer-reviewed journal?

When an instructor requires students to find journal articles, he or she will usually expect articles from peer-reviewed journals. Peer review is the process by which an author's peers read a paper submitted for publication. A number of recognized researchers in the field will evaluate the manuscript and recommend its publication, revision, or rejection. Articles accepted for publication through a ... read more

I need to make copies. Where are the photocopiers located?

166 views   |   Last updated on Oct 13, 2015    photocopier scanner copier copies flatbed

We have a selections of scanners that serve as photocopiers for digitization of magazines, images, notes, and articles. Once you have scanned your items, you can send your scan to a black & white or color printer in the library. 

I need to meet with my department reference librarian, or my personal librarian, for research assistance.

Every UMD student, faculty member, and department has a personal subject librarian who is dedicated to answering questions and providing research assistance! These reference librarians are able to find information for you and assist in developing research methods. Here is a listing of specialist librarians on our Personal Librarian page. contact

Where are the magazines and journals located?

Physical copies of magazines and periodicals are stored in the Library Annex. Issues are organized alphabetically and by date. The Kathryn A. Martin Library also maintains an expansive collection of digital materials, including journals and periodicals. 

back to top